Seven Celebrities Who Love the Planet
It’s good Hollywood business to be green these days, but not all celebs are, ahem, equally sincere in their affirmations of earth-friendliness. Here are seven celebrities who not only talk the planet-loving talk, but also walk the green walk with everything from their homes to eco-friendly products, in addition to our rising green stars Booboo & Fivel Stewart:
1. Ed Begley, Jr. – This guy is the real deal when it comes to being eco-aware. He is completely off the grid—he uses solar, thermal, and wind power to generate electricity for his home, he composts his garbage, and he grows and eats his own food. In fact, he’s so dedicated to the cause that he’s been known to ride his bike to major awards shows. He also participates in public education. His TV show, “Living with Ed,” shows people how to live like he does along with showing great earth friendly products.
2. Brad Pitt – This silver screen legend is committed to changing the world through well-documented environmental and humanitarian efforts. After Hurricane Katrina ravaged New Orleans in 2005, Pitt founded Make It Right—a charity organization dedicated to rebuilding homes for affected families in the Lower 9th Ward. To date, Make It Right has constructed more than 150 homes, all of which are built on a foundation of eco-friendly principles and advanced engineering to withstand floods and strong winds. His other green building projects include a green hotel in Dubai and an earth-friendly winery in France. The star is also green in his personal life—he drives a Prius and is committed to energy conservation.
3. Leonardo DiCaprio – Leo has long been involved in the green scene. He wrote, produced, and narrated his own eco documentary, “The 11th Hour” that drew attention to certain practices that harm the environment. His newest green role is that of producer on Planet Green’s “Greensburg,” which chronicles the reconstruction of Kansas town that was devastated by an F5 tornado.
4. Cameron Diaz – Blonde bombshell Cameron Diaz created the MTV show “Trippin’”—an eco-documentary that featured celebrities (like Diaz) shedding light on environmentally threatened areas of the world. She
is heavily involved in conservation and humanitarian efforts in third world countries. Back in the States, Diaz has a hybrid and has volunteered with organizations like the Environmental Media Association.
5. Will Ferrell – Funnyman Will Ferrell thinks that protecting the earth is no laughing matter. He’s a supporter of the Natural Resources Defense Council and used his gifts to promote environmental awareness. He is also green in his personal life—his home is easy on the environment.
6. Robert Redford – Redford has been living the eco-friendly life since he was 24. His Utah land purchase, a little place called Sundance, was dedicated to environmental conservation long before it was the heart of the independent film scene. He is active in campaigning for green causes, and his Sundance Channel features regular green programming that is designed to educate and inspire.
7. Cate Blanchett – Actress Cate Blanchett is the face of Australia’s “Who on Earth Cares?” program and has campaigned heavily to reduce carbon emissions. She and her husband were also largely responsible for Greening the Wharf—a project that helped the Wharf Theatre at Sydney’s Walsh Bay go green by installing 1900 solar panels, beginning a recycling program, and implementing rainwater harvesting.
Other celebs who deserve a green mention are director James Cameron, whose home generates more electricity than he can use (he sells it back to the grid), Alicia Silverstone, whose vegan ways earned her the coveted “Sexiest Female Vegetarian” designation, and Matt Damon, who started the H2O Africa Project.
Visit us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter @FourGreenSteps
Photos courtesy of:
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites