Written by Katia Ramadori, Four Green Steps
Monday, 18 June 2012 05:14
Meatless Monday: Vegan Lentil Burgers (Recipe)
- 1 cup of finely chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked lentils
- 1 1/4 cups of bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. of pepper
- 1/2 tsp. of mustard
- 1/2 tsp. of or your favorite spice blend (e.g. Indian spice)
- 1 tsp. of Tabasco sauce
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 4-6 Whole wheat hamburger buns
You may choose to add additional toppings such as tomatoes, avocado, or cheese if you are not vegan.
- Place half the lentils in a medium sized bowl, using an immersion blender for best results, mash the lentils until smooth, and then add the unblended lentils into the bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl and form into patties. (Adding an egg will improve the binding of the burger patties for a non-vegan version.)
- Add cooking spray to a non-stick pan and place it over medium-high heat. (If cooking on a grill, place the non-stick pan right on the grill.)
- Add the burger patties to pan.
- Cook both sides until well browned and slightly crispy.
- Serve right away with toasted whole wheat hamburger buns.
Image courtesy of Creative Commons.
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites