Written by Lauren Sigler, Four Green Steps
Wednesday, 04 May 2011 10:05
Going Green can be Cheap in 15 Easy Ways!
Many people today have developed a misconception that going green is either too difficult or too expensive. However, it most definitely does not have to be costly. Doing your part to help out the environment can be as simple and easy as using cleaning rags, going paperless or even shopping locally!
Here are 15 easy tips to going green:
- Buy a couple tote bags-These bags are reusable and will prevent waste.
- Go paperless! Pay your bills electronically, read the news online and think twice before you print.
- Take Eco-friendly Showers- Consider using a 'Shower timer' or other products that can help save an incredibly amount of energy and money.
- Buy second hand items- Not only will you be saving money, but you’ll be keeping those products from being placed in the garbage.
- Make use of natural cleaners. These cleaning products are non-toxic, safer and healthier to use. Not sure where to find natural cleaners? Look here for a wide variety. You can also try to make your own cleaning products- it's easier than you think!
- Unplug your computer at the end of the day-Prevent unnecessary use of power. Also make sure to choose 'Power-save' settings.
- Purchase products in bulk- Bulk items contain less packaging.
- Go shopping at a local farmer’s market-These items are fresh and grown locally.
- Choose public transportation over driving- Take the bus or subway to prevent wasting gas and polluting the air.
- Opt for old fashioned safety razors- In addition to being easily stored, they are not packaged in a large amount of plastic.
- Use mineral salt deodorant sticks-This type of deodorant lasts longer, has no harmful ingredients and is also not packaged with excessive plastic.
- Purchase reusable coffee filters-You won’t have to worry about purchasing filters again!
- Take the stairs, not the elevator-Take this opportunity to add a couple more minutes of exercise into your day.
- Have a yard sale- This will give people a chance to reuse items you no longer need.
- Speed up drying time by adding some tennis balls into the dryer- By doing this, you will be saving power.
Going green does not require much effort and many of these suggestions can be done easily and in the comfort of your own home. Give them a try and you’ll realize that a greener lifestyle is actually a lot easier than you ever thought it could be!
Image courtesy of Creative Commons.
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites