The Greenest Summer Camps
The school year is coming to an end and summer is quickly approaching (Yay!). Many children love the idea of spending their summer at either a day camp or residential camp with all of their friends. However, there is a vast selection of summer camps to choose from. How do you know which one will suit the needs of your child? In addition to looking at the facilities and activities offered, why not choose a camp whose goal is to teach their campers about the environment? The following summer camps top our list of the “greenest summer camps” (in no particular order)...
Growing Greener Day Camps
Villanova, Philadelphia, USA
- This day camp is for children between the ages of 4-9. Growing Greener Day Camps allows children to gain an in depth understanding of where their food comes from. Not only do they learn how to grow fruits and vegetables, but they get to prepare snacks using the food they make. In addition to activities focused on organic farming, they have the opportunity to go on nature hikes, make natural crafts and be a part of science-based projects!
Bainbridge Island, Washington, USA
- At Islandwood, children between the ages of 4-18 are welcome to partake in numerous eco-friendly activities. They offer half-day, all-day or sleepover camp programs to suit the needs of any child. Some of the activities include: gardening, telling stories in the forest, backpacking trips, cooking with natural ingredients and exploring nature’s creatures.
Aspen, Colorado, USA
- This nature camp strives to teach children ages 5-8 about the environment and how to care for the environment. Children have a chance to partake in science projects, eco games and crafts, hiking, exploring, camping and overnight camping trips. Camp Ecology wants children to learn more about being outdoors and feel comfortable in the wildness.
Wilderness Awareness School Summer Camps
Seattle, Washington, USA
- Children between the ages of 4-18 have a chance to learn and appreciate their understanding of nature, community and themselves as individuals. In small groups, they work together to learn more about plants, mammals, birds and survival skills. Children will develop a stronger and deeper connection to nature through various activities.
Source Lake, Ontario, Canada
- This all-boys camp accommodates children between the ages of 7-16 and gives them an incredible wilderness experience. They focus on building friendships, teamwork and leadership. Different activities and excursions are offered for different age groups, which place emphasis on the environment. Activities offered on site include: Red Cross swimming, ecology, ropes course, canoeing, kayaking, trail biking, archery, arts and sports.
Camp Live Oak
Ft. Lauderdale and North Miami, Florida, USA
- Accommodating children between the ages of 5-14, this camp is unique in that it offers it’s campers an environmentally-friendly experience built around Florida’s history, culture and environment. Activities include: swimming, science, arts and crafts, sports, fishing, canoeing, archery, and more! Another bonus: they provide camping experiences for children in not only the summer, but the spring and winter too!
Safari Zoo Camp
Orono, Ontario, Canada
- Children have the opportunity to learn about the environment with enjoyable and entertaining hands-on experiences. Activities include: zoo keeping, mountain biking, hiking, wall climbing, canoeing, caving, swimming, outdoor survival, and more! At this camp, their goal is to protect the environment and offer educational programs so that their campers will learn how to live more sustainably.
Trail Blazers Camp
Montague, New York, USA
- This camp is not like many other summer camps. They focus on the personal development of their campers. The campers at this camp can be children, young adults, or even adults. Campers develop a stronger understanding of nature firsthand, gain confidence and independence, explore new interests, form friendships and create a stronger connection with the environment.
The Green River Preserve
Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA
- This camp allows children between the ages of 7-18 to see the beauty in nature, while also developing a connection the environment. Activities include archery, fencing, climbing tower, theatre, yoga, gardening, nature art, painting, and many more! Their goal is to provide “life-enhancing” experiences to their campers so that they are able to learn and grow, while also increasing their appreciation for nature.
Tanager Lodge Children’s Camp
Merrill, New York, USA
- This camp offers children a chance to be part of tight-knit community in the wilderness. They emphasize “fun-filled” skill development, lasting friendships and a connection to nature. The campers sleep in tents and eat their meals all together on porches. Campers have an opportunity to develop lifelong skills and self-confidence. They also learn about the importance of living sustainably.
Looking for some eco-friendly camp items? Find all types of eco-friendly products here!
Image courtesy of Creative Commons.
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites