Stuffed Mushrooms with Tofu and Herbs
- 16 large button mushrooms (or other mushrooms of choice), washed well
- 3 T. olive oil, divided
- 8 oz. firm tofu, frozen, and thawed
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 T. garlic, minced
- 1/2 t. dried thyme
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 T. nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 T. freshly chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lightly oil (or spray with vegetable oil) a large baking dish and set aside. Remove the stems from the mushrooms, roughly dice the stems, and set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet, place 1 T. olive oil and the mushroom caps, and saute for 2 minutes per side. Remove the mushroom caps from the skillet, transfer to a large plate, and set aside.
- Using your fingers, crumble the thawed tofu into a small bowl and set aside. In the same non-stick skillet, saute the reserved mushroom stems, onion, celery, and green onion in the remaining olive oil, for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the crumbled tofu, garlic, and thyme, and saute an additional 2-3 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, add the remaining ingredients, stir well to combine, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Fill the mushroom caps with warm filling, slightly mounding the tops, and place them in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the mushroom caps are heated through and slightly browned on top. Transfer to a decorative platter for service and serve immediately.
Source: The Vegan Chef
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites