Tempeh Portabello Burgers
- 2 - 8 oz. pkgs. multigrain tempeh, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups onion, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 8 oz. portabello mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- 2 t. dried basil
- 2 t. dried rosemary (crushed a bit with your fingers)
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1/2 t. dried thyme
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup tamari or Bragg Liquid Aminos
- safflower oil for frying
- 8 whole grain buns, split
- lettuce, onion and tomato slices, or other toppings of choice
- condiments of choice
- Place the cubes of tempeh in a steamer basket, steam for 15 minutes, and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, in a non-stick skillet, saute the onion in the olive oil for 3 minutes to soften. Add the mushrooms and saute an additional 3-5 minutes or until the onions are lightly browned. Add the balsamic vinegar, stir well, and saute an additional 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside. Using your fingers, crumble the steamed tempeh into a bowl. Add the sauteed onion-mushroom mixture, basil, rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, and pepper to the tempeh, and stir well to combine. Add the flour, tamari, and remaining 2 T. olive oil, and stir well to combine.
- Line a large cookie sheet with waxed paper. Using a plastic 1/2 cups measuring cup, portion out 8 burgers on to the waxed paper, and press the burgers with a burger press or your hands to flatten them slightly. Chill the burgers for 1 hour. Lightly oil a non-stick skillet with a little safflower oil. In batches, cook the tempeh portabello burgers until well browned on each side, about 5-7 minutes per side. Add more oil to the pan, if needed, to prevent the burgers from sticking. Serve on whole grain buns with your choice of toppings and condiments.
- *Note: you can make these burgers in larger batches, pre-cook them, and freeze them for later use. Then simply reheat them in the oven or in a nonstick skillet until heated through.
Source: The Vegan Chef
Image courtesy of Creative Commons.
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites