Three Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
What do we need:
- 2 TB olive oil
- 24 oz whole button mushrooms (white or brown)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried Italian herb mix (or 2 tsp each minced fresh thyme and rosemary)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 c ricotta cheese
- 1/4 c fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 3/4 c breadcrumbs
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1-2 TB minced fresh parsley
- Butter, to grease the pan
- 9 by 13-inch casserole dish
Source: An Edible Mosaic
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease the casserole dish with butter.
- Use a dry or slightly damp cloth to gently remove any dirt on the mushrooms.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and set the mushroom caps aside for now; finely chop the mushroom stems.
- Heat the oil on medium to medium-high heat, then add the chopped stems and sauté for about 10 minutes, until they’re starting to brown.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low, add the onion, and sauté another 5 minutes until the onion is softened; add the garlic and herbs and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Transfer this mixture to a bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- To the cooled onion mixture, add the eggs, ricotta, Parmesan, salt, and pepper and stir thoroughly; then mix in the breadcrumbs.
- Spoon the stuffing mixture into the mushroom caps, and place them in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for another 10 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top of the mushrooms and broil a couple minutes until melted.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve.
- To Reheat: Preheat the oven to 350F, cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil, and heat the mushrooms for about 20 minutes until they’re warm throughout.
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites