- 2 C vegetable broth
- 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of dried thyme (crumbled in your fingers)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Several pinches of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 C nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
- Optional: 1/4 C Tofutti sour cream
- Optional: Vegan Parmesan cheese
- Combine the broth and flour in a measuring cup and whisk until dissolved. Preheat a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Place the oil and garlic in the pan and gently cook for about 2 mins, stirring often and being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook for about 15 seconds. Add the broth, turmeric, and nutritional yeast, and raise the heat to medium. Use a whisk to stir constantly. The mixture should start bubbling and thickening in about 3-5 mins; if it doesn’t, turn the heat a bit higher.
- Once the mixture is bubbling and thickening, stir and cook for about 2 more mins. Add the lemon juice and mustard. The mixture should resemble a thick, melty cheese.
- Taste for salt (you may need more depending on how salty the vegetable broth is), turn off the heat, cover the pan to keep it warm until ready to use. (If using the sour cream, add it now). The top might thicken a bit while it sits, but you can stir it and it will be fine. Serve warm and enjoy!
Source: Epicurean Vegan
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites