Healthy Un-Crab Cakes, Maryland Style
Ingredients (use vegan versions):
- 1 cup soy milk + 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg equivalent (Ener-G and flax work equally well)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 lb. baked smoked tofu (use leftovers or store-bought, vacuum sealed kind), diced
- 1/2 cup dulse or nori, toasted and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, or to taste
- Mix the vinegar or lemon juice into the soy milk and let set for 5 minutes, or until it develops a buttermilk-like consistency.
- Meanwhile, simmer onion in non-stick cooking spray or water until translucent and lightly browned on the edges. Scrape onion into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Heat soy buttermilk and flour over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool.
- Add to the bowl with the onions: egg equivalent, green pepper, bread crumbs, tofu, and dulse (or nori). Mix well and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (I have the best results when allowing the mixture to set up overnight.)
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Shape mixture into patties and place on a non-stick cooking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly crisp on the outside, flipping the patties (each patty, not the trays) once halfway through cooking.
- Sprinkle with Old Bay and serve.
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites