Healthy Un-Fried Rice
What do we need:
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 2 tbsp sesame oil (divided)
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1 fresh egg
- salt to taste
Source: Daily Garnish
- Start by preparing the brown rice. If you are making it on the stovetop, add 1 cup dry brown rice and 2 cups water to a sauce pan. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has cooked away.
- In a small bowl, prepare the dressing by whisking together 1 tbsp sesame oil and 2 tbsp liquid aminos or soy sauce. Set aside until ready.
- Once the rice is cooked, add 1 tbsp sesame oil to a large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat.
- Then add the rice to the skillet and stir often. “Fry” the rice for about 5 minutes to help give it that great fried rice texture, and to incorporate the great flavors of the sesame oil.
- Next add the diced carrots and the edamame,and stir to combine.
- Stir the edamame and carrots in, mixing frequently so that everything is cooked through. After a few minutes, add the sesame-soy mixture…
- And quickly stir to coat – the sauce should sizzle and steam!
- Using your spatula, push the rice to the sides of the skillet, forming a hole in the middle of the pan.
- While the pan is still nice and hot, crack an egg right in the center of that space – it should start to scramble right away.
- Use a spatula to break the yoke and quickly scramble the egg.
- If needed, season to taste with additional salt (probably not needed though because of the soy sauce), and serve in your favorite Asian-style bowl!
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites