Red Bean Gumbo
- 2 green peppers
- 2 medium onions
- 3 stalks celery
- 4 cups of chopped tomatoes, preferably fresh
- 4 cups okra, preferably fresh
- 2 15-oz cans red kidney beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons flour
Rice (for serving)
- Start preparing the rice in your favorite way.
- Mise en place all of the ingredients. Chop 2 green peppers, 2 medium onions, and 3 stalks of celery into a medium dice and place them in a bowl together.
- Chop 4 cups of tomatoes and 4 cups of okra. Add them to a second bowl with 2 cans of red kidney beans and 2 cups of frozen corn.
- In a third bowl add 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 3 tablespoons Tabasco sauce, 1 teaspoon thyme, 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, 2 cups of water and 2 cups of vegetable stock.
- Make your roux in a large pot. Heat 6 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat. When the oil is warmed, add 6 tablespoons of flour and start stirring. Stir the roux constantly for about 10 minutes, until the color has changed from white, to beige, to dark brown. When it is ready, it should smell great, like roasted peanuts. If it smells burnt, you went too far.
- When the roux is ready, add bowl #1 with the holy trinity. Stir and sauté until the veggies are tender.
- Add bowls #2 and #3 with the rest of the ingredients. Lower the heat to a simmer and let the flavors meld for 15-20 minutes. Add more Tabasco to taste and serve over rice.
Source: A Couple Cooks
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites