Whole Wheat Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
What do we need:
- 3/4 cup almond milk warmed
- 2 1/4 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon natural cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or regular whole wheat flour)
- 1/2-1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1/3 cup sucanat
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small bowl combine ground flax seed and water, set aside. Heat almond milk (either in a sauce pan or microwave)- don't let it get too hot (I zapped mine in the microwave for about a minute.)
- In a stand mixer bowl, at milk, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for about five minutes or until yeast activates. Add in oil, flax seed mixture, salt, and the wheat flour. Give a good stir with a spoon and then turn on the mixer with the dough hook. Begin adding the all-purpose flour 1/4 cup at a time, letting it mix in before adding more. You want your dough to be soft (but not sticky) and the key to that is adding just enough flour so that it pulls away from the sides of the bowl but may still slightly stick to the bottom and letting it knead for 5-8 minutes.
- Once the dough is here, scoop out of the bowl, form into a ball, place back in the bowl, brush it with a oil, and let it sit in a warm, draft free spot for 1- 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out into a 8 by 12 rectangle. Brush oil over entire surface and sprinkle sucanat and sugar over the entire surface. Begin the the edge closest to you and roll away from you- tucking the dough in as you go (I always think of it as like rolling up a sleeping bag. Once you have the log, squeeze it just a little and mark eight rolls out (I use the cut in half method- Half once, Half each of those, half each of those). Place in a round 8" cake pan that has been rub with oil. Cover with a warm towel and let rise again for 45 minutes to and hour.
- After about a half hour of rising, pre-heat your oven to 350˚. Once rolls have risen and oven is up to temperature, bake for 15-20 minutes. Rolls should be firm to the touch and golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly while you make the icing.
- To make the icing, place powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl- add only enough almond milk to get a thick consistency of the icing. If you find you added too much milk, add more powdered sugar. Also, if you want to leave these with a little less sugar, leave the icing out completely- they are delicious even without.
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites