Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream Frosting
- 3 cups whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup soft avocado, well mashed, about 1 medium avocado
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set that aside too.
- In a large bowl beat together the sugar, applesauce, mashed avocado, water, vinegar, and vanilla until well blended.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet with all at once and and beat with a whisk (by hand) until smooth.
- Pour batter into cupcake tins and bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting with avocado buttercream.
Avocado Buttercream Frosting
- 2 small to medium ripe avocados (8 ounces)
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Peel and pit the soft avocados, scraping the contents into a medium bowl. If the avocados have brown spots, avoid those spots when you scoop the meat into the bowl. You want nice and green avocado meat.
- Add lemon juice and beat the avocados with a mixer on medium speed until the avocados are slightly lightened in color and smooth in texture, about 2-3 minutes. The lemon juice prevents the avocados from turning brown so you will have nice green frosting.
- Add the powdered sugar a little at a time and beat. Add vanilla extract until combined. Store the frosting in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Source: The Pastry Affair
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites