Lemon Poppy Seed Cakes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tbsp poppy seeds
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 2½ tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Zest your lemons with a very fine cheese grater or lemon zester.
- In a medium bowl, pinch sugar and lemon zest together with your fingertips, until the mixture is bright yellow.
- Beat in softened butter until pale, then beat in eggs and lemon juice. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Fold in flour mixture a little at a time, alternating with sour cream. Do not over-mix.
- Pour into a 6-cup mini-bundt cake pan and bake for 28 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool, and invert onto countertop or large tray. If your cakes are wobbly, slice off the bottoms in order to stabilize them.
- In a small bowl, mix glaze by adding the lemon juice a little at a time.Drizzle over warm inverted cakes, serve and enjoy!
Source: The Bacon Eating Jewish Vegetarian
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites