Vegan Double Chocolate Almond Explosion Cookies
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (see note for w/w pastry or spelt version)
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp almond slivers, toasted or not
- 3 tbsp non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup unrefined sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 1⁄3 cup pure maple syrup (a little generous measure)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup organic canola oil (a little generous measure)
- 2 - 3 tbsp non-dairy chocolate bar, broken in small chunks,or chocolate chips (for topping)
- 3 tbsp almond slivers (toasted or not, for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a bowl, sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the almonds, chocolate chips, sugar, and salt, and stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the maple syrup with the vanilla and almond extracts, then stir in the oil until well combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, and stir through until just well combined (do not overmix).
- Place large spoonfuls of the batter on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Take 1 or 2 chocolate chunks and a pinch or two of almonds and gently press into each cookie, flattening cookies a little.
- Bake for 11 minutes, until just golden (if you bake for much longer, they will dry out).
- Let cool for no more than 1 minute on the sheet (again, to prevent drying), then remove with a large spatula and transfer to a cooling rack.
Makes 8-10 large cookies, or 12 smaller ones.
1) Unbleached all-purpose flour produces a more decadent cookie with classic taste and texture. You can, however, use whole-wheat pastry flour and still have a cookie
that is fantastic (really!).
2) For a wheat-free version, use spelt flour, but add another 3 1/2 - 4 tbsp of flour.
Source: Vive Le Vegan
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites