Vegan Triple Layer Chocolate Cream Cake
Cake Batter Ingredients:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups unrefined sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp mocha extract (or more vanilla)
- 1/4 cup organic canola oil
- 2 pckgs (349-g) SILKEN extra-firm tofu, patted dry
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (generous) non-dairy chocolate chips
Directions for the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda, then add in sugar and salt and mix well. In another bowl, combine water, vinegar, extracts, and oil.
- Add wet mixture to the dry, and stir until well combined.
- Pour into 3 lightly oiled round cake pans, distributing batter as evenly as possible.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of each comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a cooling rack.
Directions for the frosting:
Source: Vive le Vegan
- In a food processor (don't use a mixer, it won't smooth out the tofu), combine tofu with maple syrup and vanilla, and puree until very, very smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate in a bowl fitted over a pot with simmering (not boiling) water.
- Pour melted chocolate into food processor with tofu mixture, and puree again until well incorporated (again, scraping down sides of bowl).
- Transfer to a container and refrigerate until cool (will thicken as it cools).
- Once cool, spread frosting on cake layers, then refrigerate cake for at least a couple of hours to set (preferably overnight).
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites