Easy Veggie Burger with Carrots, Zucchini, Chickpeas and Cheese
(makes 4 burgers)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 small onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 can chickpeas
- 4 oz halloumi cheese (I used a lite version and it tasted great)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- lemon zest
- salt and black pepper
- white pepper (optional but delicious!)
- red pepper flakes (if you like things spicy)
- olive oil
What To Do:
- Grate the carrots, mince the garlic and slice the onion. Saute the garlic in olive oil over low heat. In a few minutes, add the onion and let it soften a bit, then add about half the carrots to cook until they become soft and golden.
- While the garlic, onions, and carrots are cooking, grate the zucchini into the other half of the carrots.
- Drain the chickpeas, mash into a thick paste with a fork, and add to the carrots and zucchini.
- Dice the halloumi into tiny pieces and mix into the carrot, zucchini and chickpea mixture.
- Add an egg and the lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix all the ingredients together with salt and pepper and any other spices of your choice (I used both white and red pepper) and shape into four patties. You may need to squeeze a bit of liquid out to get the patties to stick together better.
- Fry the burgers in a bit of olive oil for about 5 minutes on each side, until they get crispy and brown and delicious!
I ate my burger on top of a salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, chickpeas, cucumbers, and diced halloumi cheese. It would also be delicious as a more traditional hamburger on a bun with a yogurt sauce and greens. So versatile and tasty, the veggie burger doesn’t have to be mysterious and brown if you make your own!
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites