Neatloaf: A Tasty Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-Free Fake Meatloaf
- 4 large eggs (use egg substitute if vegan)
- 1/4 cup Lipton Onion Soup Mix (I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that this is vegan)
- 1/3 lb low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/3 lb firm tofu (squished up into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, of choice
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 4 cups Special K cereal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic
- 1/2 cup ketchup (you can also substitute catsup)
- 1/8 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- Cayenne pepper (to taste - a pinch is plenty for me)
- Heat oven to 300°F.
- Saute the onions and garlic (in just a little bit of oil).
- Beat eggs in bowl, the mix together all ingredients except Special K (to make gluten free add gluten free corn flakes instead)
- Mix well, and add Special K last.
- Turn into a pan sprayed with cooking oil.You can use either a 7×9 or 8×8 pan.
- Bake 1 hour.
- While Neatloaf cooks prepare sauce, whisking together all sauce ingredients in a bowl. I typically like a lot of sauce so I double the sauce part.
- Remove loaf from oven, pour sauce over the loaf and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- When loaf is done, if you can avoid the temptation, it’s best to let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites