- 1 1/2 cups onion, diced
- 1 cup shallot, diced
- 3 T. olive oil
- 3 lbs. buttercup (or other winter squash), peeled, deseeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 T. ginger, minced
- 7 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 T. orange zest
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup soy milk, rice milk, or other non-dairy milk
- Garnishes: toasted pumpkin seeds or toasted almonds, or freshly snipped chives
- In a large pot, saute the onion and shallot in olive oil for 5 minutes to soften. Add the buttercup squash and ginger, and saute an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, orange juice, orange zest, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and bay leaf, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 25 minutes or until the squash is tender. Remove the pot from the heat, remove the bay leaves, and discard them.
- Using an immersion blender or food processor, puree the soup in batches.
- Stir in the soy milk and reheat the soup until just heated through, if necessary. Do not boil the soup or the soy milk will curdle.
- Garnish individual servings with a few toasted pumpkin seeds or toasted almonds, or a few snipped chives for color.
Source: Vegan Chef
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites