Roasted Butternut Bisque
Ingredients (use vegan versions):
- 2 butternut squash (about 4 lbs total)
- 5-8 whole cloves garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut butternut squash in half and place cut-side-down on cookie sheet.
- Halve garlic cloves crosswise, place back together and wrap tightly in foil. Place on cookie sheet, and place cookie sheet in hot oven. After 30 minutes carefully turn squashes halved-side up and continue cooking until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onion and carrots in oil in a saucepan over low heat until softened, about 10 minutes.
- When squash is done, scoop the seed section and throw it away. Scoop out the squash and add it to the saucepan. Unwrap the garlic and squish the soft garlic out from the cloves into the saucepan along with the broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Use an emersion blender to puree the contents of the saucepan, or puree in batches in a food processor or blender.
- If the bisque is too thick, add some plain soy milk to achieve desired consistency. Serve topped with freshly-ground black pepper.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Image courtesy of Creative Commons.
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites