- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed through a garlic press or minced
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 16 oz vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentil
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (fresh may also be used)
- Season to taste with: red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute onion for 2 minutes, add garlic, cook for 3 more. Stir in curry powder, cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add vegetable broth. Spoon in dried lentil. Stir until evenly combined. Cook for 7-10 min, or until liquid is almost gone.
- Add tomatoes, undrained. If using fresh, add one cup water. Season to taste with above listed spices. Cook until lentils are soft, stir occasionally. Additional water may be needed as lentils cook down.
- Enjoy this with whole wheat pita or tortilla. It is spicily delicious! Mmmm.
- Health Benefits:
- Lentils are high in fiber and protein. They are the ultimate vegetarian protein source. Curry powder has also been linked with cancer prevention. Enjoy!
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites